It is obvious that where there is water, there is life. All the great civilizations have sprung up and blossomed alongside the great rivers (the Indus, the Tigris, the Nile, the Yang Tse, etc.). This is because this liquid element, has always moved – and continues to move – the great chapters of the economy, as well as being essential to sustain the basic needs of the people.
Furthermore, we all intuitively know that drinking water is healthy; there is a reason why three quarters of the human organism is made up of water. But, up to what point is it healthy to drink water? What amount? Which aspect of health does drinking water help? Can it end up being dangerous? We will try to answer all these questions in the following article.
THE GENERAL BENEFITS OF DRINKING WATER
If you drink the right amount of water a day, between one and a half and two litres, the benefits are innumerable:
- Aesthetic benefits: good hydration of the body is reflected in the shine and softness of the skin, as well as in other tissues such as hair and nails. The reason for this is that water provides minerals, nutrients and especially oxygen, which stimulates cell regeneration.
- It dilutes the concentration of bacteria in the saliva in the mouth, helping to prevent gingivitis (inflammation of the gums), and cavities.
- It improves breathing because is prevent nasal congestion as it make the mucus thinner and more fluid. This hydrated mucus in the nose and bronchial tubes are more efficient at fighting respiratory infections such as flu or bronchitis
- It improves nutrition as the intestine can absorb the vitamins and minerals from hydrated food more easily, and transport these vitamins and minerals to the inside of the cells.
- The kidneys work better and there is less accumulation of kidney stones.
- It has a laxative effect as the faeces are better hydrated and softer.
- It reduces the risk of heart problems. Loma Linda University in California carried out a study involving 20,000 healthy people who drank 5 glasses of water a day. These people showed a lower index of cardiovascular problems compared to those who only drank 2 glasses a day.
- It prevents colon and bladder cancer as it dilutes the concentration of toxic and carcinogenic substances in these large “containers”.
- It is essential to help you lose weight, especially if drunk 10 minutes before eating, as it gives you a feeling of fullness and you eat less greedily.
- It regulates the body temperature, improving all the physiological processes.
- The “etc.” is very long, BUT….
DOES WATER BENEFIT THE LOCOMOTOR SYSTEM?
Well yes, as it increases the elasticity and resistance of the tendons and the muscles, and above all – and this is very interesting – IT LUBRICATES THE JOINTS thus preventing painful joint degeneration, which we call osteoarthritis.
CAN WATER BE DANGEROUS?
There is a saying in Spanish, which as with all sayings, is very wise, which says that everything in excess is bad, even water, and this is because drinking too much water can overload the kidneys and “wash away” too many electrolytes (sodium and potassium) which are needed for the muscles to work correctly. All experts consider that two litres (8 glasses of water, evenly spread out over the day) is the ideal daily amount.
It isn’t that water is good. No. It is miraculous. We won’t go as far as to say that water is blessed, but … Blessed water!
Your health is the most important thing. If you have any questions, talk to your doctor.
Ignacio Nájera García-Segovia
Manager of Ortopedia Orto-Center